Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Library, A Palace, A Play, and Greatness :)

Day 6!  ....Crazy.  
It's so weird how it seems like we've been here longer than that.  But at the same time - not that long?  I know- it makes no sense.
Anyhoo.  
So, this morning began with class, day #2!  Class really is interesting.  I don't think it'll ever be an "unwanted" thing to go :)  Super great.  I mean, all we do is discuss plays, theatre, and Shakespeare.  Couldn't get much better than that!  ;)
After that, we headed back to the flat for some lunch, then out on a "class field trip" to The British Library to see a super great display of amazingly old, crazily AWESOME stuff.
Front of the British Library

British Library!
There were SO many things I wish with all my heart I could have taken pictures of - but alas.  No photography was allowed.  But to name a "few" of the things I saw:

  • The original copy of Handel's Messiah, 
  • Writings of Oscar Wilde, 
  • Written notes of Leonardo Da Vinci, 
  • The Gutenberg Bible, 
  • Multiple (and gorgeous!) Qur'an's, dating back to the 9th century!, 
  • Tyndale's New Testament (1 of only 3 that are still in existence from 1526),
  • The Magna Carta.  (Or a copy of it, that is.)  Along with a handwritten copy of the revised Magna Carta.  
  • A book of writings from JANE AUSTEN (her handwriting?  BEAUTIFUL!), 
  • Jane Austen's actual lap desk, and glasses!  
It was super crazy to think of, and look at all these things, realizing just how old they are, and yet- they're still here.  Completely intact, gorgeous, and b-e-a-utiful pieces of history.  
And now- for my favorite part of the exhibit?
The Beatles.  
Yup.  As in the band.  There was a small section devoted to The Beatles, including:

  • Pictures
  • Cards they used to hand out to fans (which gave each fan an actual number of what # fan they were!), 
  • Records, 
  • A ticket to a show, and 
  • Handwritten lyrics, including:
    • "Help!" 
    • "Michelle," (written on an envelope) 
    • "Yesterday," 
    • "Ticket to Ride," and 
    • "Hard Day's Night," (which was written by John Lennon on the back of a birthday card from his son's 1-year-old birthday).  
SUPER cool.  SO wonderful.  Totally could have looked at that display forever and ever and ever... Oh!  And it was also kinda cool seeing the changes/tweaks they made to songs.  Example: on "Help!" the original lyric John wrote was "And I would appreciate you being round" rather than "do."  Super super cool :)
After the Library, a few of us decided to head to Buckingham Palace, since we had a few hours before going to a theatre to get student rush tickets.  And, of course, the tube station we went to in order to get to Buckingham, just so happened to be Kings Cross Station -- aka: Platform 9 3/4.  :)
Not actually King's Cross. This is the outside of St. Pancras Station
(which is also a hotel!  Yup.  This gigantic, gorgeous thing is a hotel.)
- Right across from Kings Cross :)
King's Cross!
King's Cross! (Harry Potter-esque, anyone?)
The infamous Platform :)
And...of course.  The picture ;)
Been to Platform 9 3/4?  Check that off the bucket list of life :)

Also, in the same station is this place called "Upper Crust Pasty Shop."  First Pasty ever eaten today :) And it was definitely delicious.  Pretty sure we'll all be getting that at least once more before we leave... - That technically wasn't ever "on" my bucket list, but it was definitely added today- just so I could cross it off.  Haha.

Then... we arrived at Buckingham.  Gorgeous.  And GIANT.  Really.  Giant.

The Palace!
Statue/Monument? outside the Palace!

So... There was this statue.
Sort of half-naked man...
Becca and I saw other people climbing up on him to take pictures,
and we followed suit.  Haha. 
Becca!
Man statue
Front of the Statue - yes, the full thing is actually a man, and a woman.
I was creeping on Becca and Ariel --
I think the guy next to them thought I was taking a picture of him.  Awkward.
Ariel and Becca!
Buckingham!
A guard
So... as we were walking up to Buckingham, both Becca and I saw this wall.
Our conversation went like this:
Becca:  Wow.  That's really cool looking.
Me:  Yeah.  I wonder what it is...
Becca:  Yeah!
...Oh- no biggie.  It's basically just part of Buckingham Palace. (The gift shops, attached to Buckingham)
 Haha.  Ohhh how little we know ;)
Then... as I mentioned earlier, we went to go get student rush tickets, for this little play called The King's Speech. :)  SO good.  Super good seats - Super pretty theatre, amazingly cool set, complete with a turn-table stage, beautiful crisp lighting, phenomenal actors, costuming -- everything.  Just wonderfulness all around.
The King's Speech - Wyndham Theatre :) 

The stage - gorgeous?  Yes.
This theatre?  Opened in 1899.
No biggie.
It's beautiful. 
All in all?  Great day... just like every other ;)

1 comment:

  1. That is cool about Kings Cross... clearly not there when I went there! The Monument in front of the palace is for Queen Victoria, built in the ship style as it was built at a time when britain actually ruled the seas (ships at the bottom). Also known as the Wedding Cake cuz it looks like a cake topper!

    ReplyDelete