Today we started off the morning going to the V&A (Victoria and Albert) Museum as a class. It. Was. Beautiful. Also, GINORMOUS. --I'm beginning to realize that this is a trend in London. All of their museums have more than one level, and a TON of stuff on each level.
So with my class today, I just went to one of the sections - the Theatre section! There's still a CRAZY amount of things to look at in this museum, but I'll definitely be going back a few times :)
 |
| The Front Gate :) |
 |
| The walls of the V&A have damage marks from the during the Blitz of WWII |
 |
GIANT blown glass sculpture inside the front doors. SO COOL. |
 |
| Scale model of the Empire Theatre in London |
 |
Ashley Shairp - Set & Costume Designer No picture can do this scale model JUSTICE. It. Was. Absolutely. Incredible. There were working lights inside, which even showed CUES /where the lights would be focused! So crazy detailed. Oh- and the lights? Even had mini gel frames. Yes, yes they did. |
 |
| Queen 1977 |
 |
| "Bicycle John" costume worn by Elton John - 1974-75 |
 |
| Prince Charming outfit worn by Adam Ant - 1981 |
 |
| Mick Jagger's stage costume :) --1972 |
 |
COLDPLAY! Costume worn by Christ Martin - 2008 |
 |
From left to right: Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest - 1993 Paola in Duel of Angels - 1958 Irina Arkadina in The Seagull - 1994 |
 |
| Kylie Minogue's "dressing room" (the replica of it, that is!) |
 |
LION KING -- SARABI! Ohhhh goodness. These costumes are B-E-A-UTIFUL. Really. |
 |
| SCAR! |
 |
| Close up... Beautiful detail and gradation skills. |
 |
| Again - Detail?? CRAZY amazingly beautiful... |
 |
OOOKAY now. THIS was by FAR (ok- I'll probably never stop saying that) my favorite. THIS is a miniature scale model of the set of Sweeney Todd. WITH WORKING LIGHTS - and you can push buttons which brought you to different scenes within the play. Yup. Above are mini focused lights on this set, the 2 brightest at the top sides being mini LED lights. SO amazing? Why, yes. Yes it was. Really. |
 |
| Picture of the mini set... |
 |
Looking up at the mini light set-up. Adorable and amazing? Um...yes. Basically. |
 |
| The lights lighting up the whole set :) |
 |
| Annnnd - my favorite. One of the lights even had a MINI WINDOW GOBO! GAH!! |
After some of us were done with this section, we decided to go to Primark again - cause some of us needed clothes... ;) (Yes, needed.) Primark is a very very dangerous store... I'll say that much. Wayyy too much stuff--and all very cute.
Then came a little bit of grocery shopping, as we needed food as well, and then... we were off to see... As You Like It!
Now, I have to admit. As I was reading this play...I wasn't too sure about it. I really only understood maybe half of it. Maybe. (probably because I'm such a visual person, and well- it's Shakespeare.) So, needless to say, when we arrived at our theatre (which was the upstairs of a pub. Awesomeness.) and I realized how tired I suddenly was, I thought "There is no way I'm staying awake through this..." But... guess what. This play? Was phenomenal. Really. It could have been a bit of help that the actors were literally 3 feet from us (small pub = VERY small pub theatre.) since our group was at LEAST half the audience, if not more than. Also -- it definitely could have helped that the main men actors in the performance were ....very attractive.
 |
Yup. That's the name of the pub/our Theatre. Lion & Unicorn :) |
 |
See? Just on a normal, everyday street! This is definitely the closest we've gotten to a more "normal" residential area during the time we've been here... |
 |
| As You Like It! |
Anyhoo - points being:
1. It was beautiful.
2. I stayed awake, and extremely alert though the entire thing.
3. I left that play with a much greater understanding of the play.
4. I now have gone back and found some of my favorite quotes from the play (now that it all makes sense).
5. I'm slowly appreciating Shakespeare more and more :)
London is wonderful, and tomorrow...? Another extremely exciting day :)
I can't give anything away yet though --it's much too exciting ;)
Adelphi Theatre Box Office
ReplyDelete409 – 412 The Strand, London
Box Office Open Mon-Sat 10am – 8pm You could see Sweeney Todd for real... just sayin'